Opened a pretty invitation to learn that you’ve been invited to a beach wedding ceremony? There is no surprise, there is something super romantic about celebrating the special day alongside a gorgeous sunset, in the pink sand and chiming blue ocean waves with sea shells and flowers for decor. While this is all so exciting, it may also leave you wondering what to wear to a beach wedding or what is the perfect beach wedding attire ?
This is the ultimate guide to beach wedding attire for guests! There are a few ground rules you should follow in order to look great, remain comfortable, yet formal enough for this non-traditional wedding. Beach wedding attire is a whole different look—you'll need to take into account how formal the wedding will be. After reading this, you’ll know exactly what to wear to a beach wedding whether it’s casual, semi-formal, or formal.
We will be decoding the dress code, we will also share tips to complete your beach wedding guest look. After you read these tips, make sure you leave a comment below with your thoughts and questions.
Beach wedding look with a bohemian flare
The rules of what to wear to an indoor, church wedding are a bit different from what to wear to a beach wedding can.
Breathable fabrics that do not cling to the body are best. Nobody wants sweat marks on the back and front of a dress. Materials like georgette, linen, chiffon, organza, and even cotton blends like cotton silk or lace can be a great fit. If the event is in the evening, bring a stole or a shawl in case it gets colder at evening hours. Wedding or formal suits and elegant gowns may look a bit overdressed and uncomfortable due to the heat.
Women's Beach Wedding Dresses/Attire
Although a black dress looks chic, it may conduct heat and you may find yourself feeling extremely hot and uncomfortable. A day of fun in the sun is ahead of you and in order to look your best you need to feel your best. Ideal beach wedding guest dresses or jumpsuits or anything you prefer needs to be not only stylish but also comfortable. If you love the beach it might be a good idea to embrace the sights and sounds of the ocean. This can be easily achieved through wearing inspired colors, prints, and patterns. Colors like pastel shades of pinks, purples, blue, aqua, turquoise, sand, fuchsia, lime green, peach, and even yellow can all work. Or even gorgeous prints in these bright hues will make a statement and make you look gorgeous. Floral prints, geometric prints, Tribal prints, city prints can all look stunning.
A strong ocean breeze can kick up short, flirty skirts, so consider midi and maxi lengths instead of minis unless you're wearing a sturdier fabric like scuba or a fitted bodycon dress. Since you'll likely be walking in sand which can be a pain in high heels, we would recommend pairing dressy wedges or flat sandals with beach wedding guest dresses. Wearing sun protection (From my personal experience a tinted sunscreen with high SPF can be great) and on trend sun glasses (Colored rimless shades) can add to the look. A wide rimmed beach rattan hat can look super stylish as well.
Keep in mind that even formal beach wedding guest attire is a bit more casual than what you might wear to a chic city wedding venue or country club affair.
Casual Women's Beach Wedding Attire
Are you wondering what to wear to a casual beach wedding? You've got a wide variety of choices when it comes to deciding what to wear to a casual beach wedding. We've rounded up a selection of beach wedding guest dresses that'll make you feel right at home in the sand.
- Our advice is a nice Maxi dress. A maxi dress is loose fitting, especially around the bottom of the dress so you can easily sweep it across the sand and brush it clean on land for a seaside reception.
- This colorblocked beach wedding guest dress is fresh, super-chic and complete with a stylish geometric print. We love the bright pop of blue, and it pairs perfectly with white accessories like a woven handbag and block heels.
- Searching for dresses to wear to a beach wedding with sleeves for fighting off UV rays? Try this boho kaftan style beach wedding guest dress. The crush cotton number comes in 2 variations, the versatile palette goes with black or nude accessories.
- What screams casual beach wedding? This super fun cotton silk geometric print dress with pleats and volume.
- We love bohemian wedding looks. Checkout this midi dress in pastel prints tones. This gorgeous beach wedding guest dress begs for metallic sandals or wedge heels.
- A gorgeous tropical print is perfect, obviously. The flora and fauna print, and a front open criss cross cut elevate the casual shape of this beach wedding guest dress. Dress it up further with gold kitten heels that look ultra-chic and offer much-needed stability.
- For a super casual beach wedding, a silk kimono kaftan can be a super amazing option. Combine it with matching loose palazzo pants and you will give any fashionista a run for her money.
Formal Women's Beach Wedding Attire
If the invitation indicates that you should wear beach formal attire, then a long, elegant gown is perfectly appropriate or even a sequin dress can look amazing. Try beach wedding guest dresses in metallics, satin or lace for even more elevated beach wedding attire.
- When it comes to beach formal dresses, bring on the checks! With the right accessories (like glam gold heels and a chunky chain bracelet to match the metallic neck accent), this fitted, midi beach wedding guest dress can be dressed up to the formality you desire.
- Gold-tone metallic embroidery shimmers against the bright pink hue of this flirty dress, mimicking the beauty of a sunset over the beach. When eyes aren't on the couple, you'll be the belle of the beach wedding.
- Channel your inner goddess with this elegant beach wedding guest dress. Green halter neck maxi with appliqué is a stunning yet unique choice. Overall, it's the ideal look for an elegant night-time soiree by the sea.
- This beach wedding guest dress is super classy. Pastel pink printed dress doubled by a crush cotton pink jacket that transcends as a wonderful reception dress too.
- For an upscale cocktail-style reception that's seaside, look to this leafy print mini dress with a one shoulder detail. Nude heels and a gold clutch complete this beach chic wedding attire look with ease.
- Flirty and fabulous, this ruffled embroidered midi dress looks pretty and party-perfect for an upscale bridal shower or chic beachside wedding. Add a thin belt if you're feeling extra-fancy.
Semi- formal Women's Beach Wedding Attire
Semi-formal beach attire calls for short or tea length dresses, which are great because they won’t drag in the sand, plus they transition beautifully to a reception venue held at a restaurant or oceanfront hotel.
Sandhya Garg is a Project Runway designer. She studied and specialized in women's fashion at London College of Fashion, UK and has worked at Alexander McQueen, Gucci, Liberty London, Alice Temperley to name a few. She has her own successful resort dresses, special occasion dresses, wedding guest looks, swim coverups label. While on Project Runway Season 13, she won 2 challenges and was fortunate to show her collection at Mercedes-Benz New York Fashion Week. The brand has been featured in Marie Claire US, Ftv.com, Elle Magazine, Cosmopolitan Magazine, Vogue online to name a few.
She designs limited edition high end printed spring dresses and swim coverups. Beautiful prints are inspired from around the world to be worn during travel, resort stay or cruise holidays.